This dish is not only appealing to the eye, it's delicious to the taste buds.
Yield: serves 6
- 1⁄2 lb. sliced mixed fresh mushrooms, such as criminis and wild chanterelles
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- 8 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Leaves from 4-5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth, trim stems, and slice. Cook onions with sugar in oil in a 9" skillet over low heat until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add mushrooms, scallions, garlic, and vinegar, and cook another 10 minutes. Remove half the mixture and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk eggs with 1 tbsp. water in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-low; add eggs to mushroom mixture in skillet. Tilt pan and use a wooden spoon to gently draw the uncooked egg towards center of skillet. When eggs are still a bit runny, top with parsley and reserved mushroom mixture; finish omelette in oven, 3 minutes. Serve at once.