This recipe for a Mongolian-style cabbage salad was from Saveur contributing editors Naomi Duguid and Jeffrey Alford's book Beyond the Great Wall—Recipes and Travels in the Other China (Artisan Books, 2008). To serve this at a dumpling party, salt and drain the onions and blanch the cabbage ahead of time; just before serving, heat the sesame oil and vinegar and dress the salad.
- 1 small or 1⁄2 medium-large red onion (1⁄4 pound)
- 2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 tsp. roasted sesame oil, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar, or to taste
- About 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves
Note on Shredding Cabbage: To shred the cabbage, slice crosswise into very thin slivers with a cleaver or chef's knife.