This quick, simple soufflé promises a perfect result every time.
Yield: serves 8
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 loaf white bread, crusts removed and bread cut into 1" cubes
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- Beat eggs, half-and-half, and red pepper flakes together in a large bowl until well mixed and set aside. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on the bottom of a 9" × 12" baking dish. Cover cheese with two-thirds of the bread and season to taste with salt and pepper. Repeat layering (seasoning second layer with salt and pepper) with the remaining cheese and bread, ending with a layer of cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese and bread, then drizzle with melted butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Allow soufflé to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake soufflé until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes.