Canned san marzanos tomatoes are wonderful, particularly when roasted slowly, as called for in this simple, classic recipe. Enjoy it on its own as a side dish, mixed into cold (or hot) pasta, served on grilled or toasted bread as antipasto, interleaved with fried eggplant slices, or as a pizza topping.
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 2 (28-oz.) cans peeled whole san marzano tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275°. Pour 1⁄4 cup of the oil into a large nonreactive baking pan. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, and parsley. Toss, then spread evenly on bottom of pan.
- Gently squeeze tomatoes to release excess juices, then place in pan in a single layer. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 3 hours.