Panzanella (Bread and Tomato Salad)
Lidia Bastianich recommends making this rustic Italian salad with toasted country bread and ripe tomatoes.
Yield: serves 10
- 2 lb. medium tomatoes, cored and cut into small wedges
- 12 oz. country-style bread, torn into bite-size pieces and lightly toasted
- 1 cup loosely packed baby arugula
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bread, arugula, basil, and onions.
- In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together the oil, vinegar, and garlic; drizzle dressing over salad. Season generously with salt and pepper, toss to combine, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.