Peppers in Tomato Sauce
These peppers are eaten over veal cutlets or used as a pasta sauce.
Yield: makes 2 Pints
- 1 Tbsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 5 allspice berries
- 5 cloves
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 7 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and quartered
- Stir together salt, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, allspice, cloves, oil, and 2 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add peppers to tomato sauce and cook until they are tender but firm, 10–15 minutes.
- Using a sterilized spoon, transfer hot peppers to 2 hot, sterilized pint canning jars. Pour hot tomato sauce over peppers. Put lids on jars and screw on bands. Process for 35 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure in a pressure canner. Remove jars from pot and allow to cool completely. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.