Souvlaki Hirino (Pork Kebabs)
Oregano and garlic give these grilled pork kebabs their signature flavor.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. dried mint
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed and minced into a paste
- 1 bay leaf, finely crumbled
- 1 lb. trimmed pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/4" cubes
- 4 (9") wooden skewers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, wine, lemon juice, mint, oregano, garlic, and bay leaf; add pork and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Meanwhile, soak skewers in water.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, arrange an oven rack 4" below the broiler element and set oven to broil.) Thread about 4 pieces of pork onto each skewer so that pork pieces just touch each other. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the grill (or, covering exposed ends of skewers with foil, put skewers on a rack set over a foil-lined baking sheet). Cook, turning often, until cooked through and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.