Sometimes bacalao (salt cod) is added to this home-style Basque soup.
Yield: serves 8-10
Time: 1 hours
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 lbs.), cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 dried choricero peppers or New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 6 leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups cubed calabaza squash
- Kosher salt
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, 20–25 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to a bowl; leave oil behind. Add potatoes and cook until golden, 7–9 minutes.
- Return reserved onions to the pot. Add chiles, leeks, carrots, tomatoes, squash, and salt to taste. Pour in 5 quarts water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.