Pumpkin Pecan Gingersnap Ice Cream
This recipe, from test kitchen assistant Anne-Marie White, is a great way to use up any leftover pumpkin puree (fresh or canned).
Yield: makes 1 Quart
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped gingersnap cookies
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Whisk together sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, yolks, and vanilla seeds in a 4-qt. saucepan until smooth; stir in 1½ cups cream. Place over medium heat, and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 8 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, and whisk in remaining cream and pumpkin until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Transfer to an ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- After churning, alternate layers of ice cream, gingersnap cookies, and pecans in a resealable container, cover and freeze until firm.