This recipe, from test kitchen assistant Anne-Marie White, is a great way to use up any left over pumpkin puree (fresh or canned).
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped gingersnap cookies
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
Whisk together sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, yolks, and vanilla seeds in a 4-qt. saucepan until smooth; stir in 1½ cups cream. Place over medium heat, and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 8 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, and whisk in remaining cream and pumpkin until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Transfer to an ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
After churning, alternate layers of ice cream, gingersnap cookies, and pecans in a resealable container, cover and freeze until firm.