Sweetened with prunes and studded with pearl onions, this country-style rabbit stew is a home-cooked specialty on Crete.
- 2 lb. pearl onions, root ends trimmed
- 1 rabbit (about 3 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 12 prunes
- 6 cloves
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 (2") stick cinnamon
- Flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Pairing Note: A red wine with a touch of sweetness works well with this entree; I like the 2008 Agiorgitiko by Gaia ($25) with its pure cherry tones. — David Rosengarten.