These fragrant chicken kebabs hail from North India.
Yield: makes 6 Skewers
- 1 1⁄4 lb. ground chicken
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. hot paprika
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almonds
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, mix chicken, garlic, ginger, and paprika; let sit 30 minutes. Place almonds in a bowl and cover with boiling water; let sit 10 minutes. Drain and puree in a food processor with cream, garam masala, cardamom, allspice, and egg white; transfer to chicken mixture. Heat oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring, until deeply caramelized, about 8 minutes. Stir into chicken mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Build a hot charcoal fire in a grill. Divide chicken mixture into 6 portions; form each around the length of a flat metal skewer. Grill, turning, until charred, 4–5 minutes.