Roasted Whole Fish with Herbs
Corsicans often make this dish with loup de mer, or sea bass. Farm-raised striped bass is a good substitute in America.
Yield: serves 6
- 4 (1½-lb.) farm-raised striped bass, cleaned and scaled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced into rounds
- 2 medium lemons, sliced into rounds
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ bunches fresh rosemary
- ½ bunches fresh thyme
- ½ bunches fresh mint
- 3-5 bay leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°. Arrange fish on a large baking sheet. Season fish cavities with salt and pepper to taste, then fill each with tomatoes, half the lemon slices, and a little of the garlic, rosemary, thyme, and mint. Scatter bay leaves and remaining lemons, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and mint over fish. Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast fish until skin is crisp and flesh is just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Allow fish to rest 5 minutes before serving.