Rosemary Chicken (Kotopoulo me Dendrolivano)
Shallow-braised in white wine and aromatics, this herb-rich chicken dish is easy, elegant, and requires minimal prep.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 4 whole skin-on chicken legs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for dredging
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 425˚. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Put flour on a plate and dredge chicken in flour to coat, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add wine, rosemary, and bay leaves. Return pan to heat and cook until wine reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1⁄2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Cover skillet, transfer to oven, and cook until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover and let chicken skin crisp, 5 minutes. Remove chicken from the oven; stir in lemon juice. Serve chicken with the pan sauce.