Rose's Red Sauce
This simple recipe reveals the flavor superiority of san marzano tomatoes.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can peeled whole san marzano tomatoes, with juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- Heat olive oil in a nonreactive pot (earthenware or enameled cast iron) over medium heat. Add garlic and fry, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, with juice. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high, bring sauce to a boil, and cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add a few basil leaves and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta, mix with sauce, and serve with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano.