The traditional version of Nice’s classic salad uses no lettuce, no cooked vegetables, no vinegar. And remember that the Niçois would never dream of making their salad with fresh tuna: This is a dish based on preserved fish.
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 8 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 (4-oz.) cans oil-packed top-quality tuna, well drained
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 8 anchovies
- 4 fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup niçoise olives
- Extra-virgin olive oil, preferably French
- Divide tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes, tuna, and eggs equally among four plates, arranging them attractively, working from the outside in.
- Garnish each plate with 2 anchovy filets. Sprinkle with chives and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter olives evenly over the salads and drizzle with olive oil just before serving.