Petit Salé aux Pommes de Terre (Salted Pork with Potatoes)
A French bistro favorite, this dish is the perfect pairing with beaujolais nouveau.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 5 lb. salted pork shoulder and loin ribs, chine cracked
- 10 medium yellow onions, peeled
- 2 cloves
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 branch thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 lb. small white potatoes, peeled
- 8-10 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak pork in a pot of cold water, changing water every hour for 4 hours. Drain, then cover pork again with cold water. Stud 2 of the onions with a clove each and add to pot, along with carrots, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, 2–3 hours.
- About 1½ hours before pork is finished, preheat oven to 375°. Thinly slice remaining 8 onions. Toss onions and potatoes with oil in a large baking dish. Season generously with salt and pepper, then roast, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and potatoes are browned, about 1½ hours. When pork is cooked, transfer to the baking dish and ladle some of the broth over meat and vegetables.