Sardine Sandwich With Horseradish Cream
This update on the classic sardine sandwich combines spicy horseradish cream with rich French sardines and pickled onions. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with chef Mike Colamenco’s article Forgotten Fish.
- 1⁄4 cup rice-wine vinegar 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread, toasted
- 2 leaves red-leaf lettuce
- 1 (4-oz.) can French sardines in oil, drained, plus 2 tsp. reserved oil
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns to a boil in a small saucepan. Add onions and remove from heat; let sit for 30 minutes, then chill. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, and lemon juice; spread mixture over each slice of bread, and top each with 1 lettuce leaf. Divide sardines evenly between sandwiches, and top with pepper and pickled onions. Drizzle with reserved oil, and season with salt and pepper.