Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bread Crumbs
This is our adaptation of an autumnal side dish frequently used at Thanksgiving time.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and boil until just about cooked through, 3-5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop them from cooking any further. Cut Brussels sprouts in half length-wise and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until edges begin to brown, about 2 minutes; then remove and discard. Add Brussels sprouts to skillet, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until sprouts are well browned in places, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle bread crumbs over sprouts and stir well, then add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.