Sautéed Eggs and Greens with Lemon
This simple dish, a favorite of home cooks across Cyprus, makes a light repast that’s perfect for summer.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 6 green onions
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 9 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim a few inches off the top of the onions; each onion should measure about 6" long. Halve green onions lengthwise; cut each half crosswise into 1⁄8"-thick strips. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Heat oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently with a spatula, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add arugula and salt; stir, until greens are wilted, about 1 minute. Quickly add eggs and parsley; stir vigorously to break up yolks and whites. Let cook, undisturbed, for 30 seconds. Break eggs up a bit with a spatula. Let cook until set, about 30 seconds more.
- Transfer to a bowl, squeeze juice of the lemon over top, and sprinkle with pepper.