Layer pungent fish sauce, spicy chilies, and fresh mint with leftover chicken for a bright and simple salad.
Vietnamese Shredded Chicken Salad
This salad is often served with chicken soup with cellophane noodles.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 fresh hot red chiles (Thai or serrano)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp. Vietnamese fish sauce (nuó’c mam)
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped mint
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Seed red chiles, then mince. (It is always best to wear rubber gloves when working with chiles.) Place chiles in a large bowl. Add garlic, sugar, rice wine vinegar, fresh lime juice, Vietnamese fish sauce, vegetable oil, and onion. Mix until sugar dissolves. Add shredded chicken, shredded white cabbage, carrots, and fresh mint. Season with freshly ground black pepper, mix, and garnish with cilantro.