Shredded Dried Beef with Scrambled Eggs
Machacado, from the verb machacar_(to pound), describes the shreds of dried beef in this dish.
Yield: serves 2
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 small white onion, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup (about 2 oz.) shredded carne seca (dried beef)
- 6 eggs
- Salt and freshly fround black pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions (if using) and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add dried beef to skillet and cook, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and salt and pepper to taste together in a medium bowl. Add eggs to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are set, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas and piquin chiles on the side, if you like.