Shrimp and Crab Bisque
This recipe is one of Maryland's regional specialties.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. raw shrimp in shells
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb. lump crabmeat
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh chives
- Wash and shell shrimp. Refrigerate shrimp and put shells in a large saucepan with 3 cups water, brandy, and white wine. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard shells, then add onions, celery, and carrots to broth and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 1 minute. Transfer to a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Pour bisque back into saucepan and cook over low heat, gradually stirring in half-and-half. Stir in butter and season to taste with salt and Tabasco sauce. Add crabmeat, reserving some for garnish, and simmer for 3 minutes more. Garnish with chives and crabmeat.