Sicilian Fennel Salad with Oranges, Arugula, and Black Olives
In Sicily, this salad is traditionally prepared with wild chicory, a slightly peppery, tender-leafed green.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 blood or navel oranges
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches trimmed arugula
- 2 cored, halved, trimmed medium fennel bulbs
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olives
- Trim off and discard peel and all of the white pith from oranges, then slice crosswise into thin rounds and set aside. Mix together extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar in a large salad bowl, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tear arugula into large pieces and arrange in the salad bowl. Slice fennel bulbs into long strips. Toss salad just before serving, adjust seasonings, then arrange orange slices and black olives on top.