Smoked herring, boiled potatoes and beets, and mustard make a refreshing salad to serve on dark rye as part of a Danish-style smørrebrød platter with crisp gherkins. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with the article Salad Days.
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 russet potato, peeled and quartered
- 8 oz. smoked herring, finely chopped
- 6 oz. boiled beets, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste