We enjoyed these simple sandwiches at Watermen’s Inn in Crisfield, Maryland.
Softshell Crab Sandwiches
We enjoyed these simple sandwiches at Watermen's Inn in Crisfield, Maryland.
Yield: serves 1-2
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cleaned softshell crabs
- 4 slices white sandwich bread
- Tartar Sauce
- Bibb lettuce
- Season flour with salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge crabs in flour, shake off excess, then panfry until brown and crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Make up 2 sandwiches, using 1 crab per sandwich, 2 slices of bread, a little tartar sauce, and a leaf or two of bibb lettuce. Serve with additional tartar sauce.