If you wish, add 1 more cup sorrel and omit the mushrooms.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups loosely packed sorrel leaves, washed, stemmed, and cut into strips
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp. grated parmigiano-reggiano
Preheat broiler. Melt 1 tbsp. of the butter in a nonstick 8'' skillet over medium heat. Add sorrel and shallots, season lightly with salt, and cook, stirring, until sorrel wilts, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Return skillet to medium heat, add 1⁄2 tbsp. of the butter, then add peppers, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove peppers and set aside. Add 1 tbsp. of butter and mushrooms to skillet and cook until browned, 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Beat eggs in a medium bowl, add sorrel and shallots, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add remaining 1⁄2 tbsp. butter to skillet. Pour in eggs, cover, and cook until bottom sets, about 2 minutes. Push edges in toward center with a spatula, allowing uncooked egg to run underneath. Arrange peppers on top and cook, covered, until egg is well set, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and place pan under the broiler until bubbling on top.