Sour Spearmint Sauce with Meatballs
Hamud is usually a sauce for rice, but it can also be served as a soup.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 lb. beef
- 5 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 1/2" pieces
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb. veal stew meat, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1-2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup dried spearmint
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Place ground beef in a large bowl. Season with salt, mix well, then shape into 1" meatballs. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place potatoes, celery, veal, lemon juice, garlic, spearmint, and sugar in a large pot. Add 8 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add meatballs, cover, and simmer. stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Using a long-handled spoon, stir soup, mashing potatoes just enough to slightly thicken soup. Cover and continue cooking until veal is tender, about 2 hours more. Adjust seasoning with salt, sugar, and lemon juice. Ladle into bowls or serve over rice.