These Hawaiian-style pork ribs are a sweeter version of kalbi, a Korean preparation for marinated and grilled beef short ribs that's sometimes cooked tableside. Shane Mitchell profiled the foods of Hawaii in our March 2009 issue in the feature "Little Big Island." For more information about rib cuts, see our guide.
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 lb. pork baby back ribs
- 1 (2") piece peeled fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
Pairing notes: Carignane, a spicy red Rhone varietal, is a nice match for the sweet-tasting ribs. Lioco "Indica" Mendocino County Red Wine 2006, from California, is a good choice.