This simple preparation makes an elegant dessert. Any leftover poaching syrup can be saved and used to sweeten summer drinks and simple cakes.
- 6 pears, peeled
- 1 lemon, peeled and juiced, reserve both
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. saffron threads
- Place pears in lemon water to prevent discoloring.
- Combine wine, 1 cup water, sugar, star anise, vanilla bean, cinnamon, and lemon peel in a large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, add pears, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pears and cool.
- Raise the heat and bring poaching syrup to slow boil, crumble in saffron, and reduce liquid to 3 cups.
- Cool the syrup, add pears, and serve.