Chilling this dough before rolling will reduce crumbling.
Use this nutty, lightly spiced dough for your favorite Christmas cookies.
Yield: makes About 3 Dozen
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Combine walnuts, flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed. Gradually add white and brown sugars; beat until mixture is fluffy. Beat in egg, reduce speed, and add flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Divide dough into four portions. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll out one portion of dough on a floured surface, cut into desired shapes, arrange 1″ apart on buttered nonstick baking sheets, and decorate as desired. Bake for 5 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and bake until cookies are golden, 5 minutes more. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Repeat process with remaining dough. Finish decorating and serve.