Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi (Spinatnocken und Topfennocken)
Why settle for just one type of gnocchi, this recipe offers both spinach and cheese. Resist the urge to stir the gnocchi while they simmer in the pot, lest they fall apart.
- 1 1⁄2 lb. stemmed spinach leaves (from about 2 large bunches), washed, drained briefly
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. ricotta, drained for 1 hour through a fine sieve
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. flour
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- For the spinach gnocchi: Wilt spinach in 2 batches in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning often, 1 1⁄2 minutes per batch. Drain. Squeeze liquid from spinach; finely chop. Heat 2 tbsp. butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add spinach, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 16–18 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl; let cool. Add 1⁄2 cup flour, 14 tbsp. of the ricotta, 1⁄2 cup parmigiano, 2 eggs, yolk, pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For the ricotta gnocchi: Beat together the additional remaining ricotta, 3 tbsp. butter, remaining eggs, pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Stir in bread crumbs and 2 tbsp. flour. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Put remaining flour into a bowl. Using 2 soup spoons, form ricotta mixture into 16 small-football-shaped gnocchi and roll gently in flour to coat; drop in water and simmer until cooked through, 16–18 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a plate. Form spinach mixture the same way (without rolling in flour); simmer for 16–18 minutes (do not stir). Transfer spinach gnocchi to plate.
- Divide gnocchi between 4 plates. Cook remaining butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until light brown, 3–4 minutes. Pour over gnocchi; sprinkle with remaining parmigiano and parsley.