Along with Chinese peas with water chestnuts and asparagus Chinese style, this is a classic Trader Vic’s vegetable dish.
- 4 medium heads baby bok choy
- 1⁄2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- Trim and quarter lengthwise heads of bok choy. Blanch in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 1–2 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tsp. water; set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add vegetable oil, then add bok choy and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Add oyster sauce and chicken stock and stir-fry until liquid has reduced slightly, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce thickens, 15–30 seconds. Add sesame oil and stir well.