No festive Korean meal would be complete without this noodle dish.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> oz. dried black wood ear mushrooms
- 8 oz. sweet-potato noodles
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> lb. rib-eye steak, sliced into thin medium-wide strips
- 1 scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled, and julienned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put mushrooms in a medium bowl of hot water, cover, and soak until soft, about 1 hour. Drain and trim, discarding stems. Thinly slice mushrooms; set aside. Put noodles into a large pot of boiling water over high heat. Remove pot from heat, cover, and set aside until noodles are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, rinse, and set aside. Mix together meat, scallions,1 tbsp. of the soy sauce, 1⁄2 tsp. of the sesame oil, and sugar in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add onions, garlic, peppers, cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots, and stir-fry until vegetables are just wilted, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large bowl. Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in the wok, add meat, stir-fry until just cooked through, about 1 minute, and add to bowl. Heat remaining 2 tbsp. of the vegetable oil, add noodles, stir-fry until translucent, about 3 minutes, and add to bowl. Add remaining 2 tbsp. soy sauce and 1⁄2 tsp. sesame oil to bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to mix well. Serve warm.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, Tricks, and Tips for Hosting a Himalayan-Inspired Vegetarian Feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.