Stir-Fried Iceberg Lettuce
This fragrant stir-fry, a version of one in The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen (Simon & Schuster, 1999) by Grace Young, is a popular Chinese New Year dish.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. rice wine or dry sherry
- 3⁄4 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 4 scallions, cut on the diagonal into 1" pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium head iceberg lettuce, cored, outermost leaves discarded, inner leaves torn into 4"-wide pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine or sherry, sugar, and pepper; set sauce aside.
- Heat a 12" skillet over high heat. Add peanut oil, half of the scallions, and garlic and cook until garlic is golden, about 5 seconds. Add lettuce; cook, stirring occasionally, until lettuce softens slightly, about 1 minute. Drizzle in sauce and cook until lettuce is just coated with the sauce, about 1 minute. Season with salt, divide between 4 bowls, and garnish with remaining scallions.