(Fiori di Zucca Ripieni)
Zucchini and other squash blossoms are fried all over Italy—stuffed or not—but this recipe came from a restaurant in Castel Gandolfo, near Rome.
- 24 zucchini blossoms
- 3⁄4 lb. mozzarella
- 12 anchovy filets
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Remove stems and stamens from zucchini blossoms; wash blossoms and pat dry.
- Cut mozzarella into small dice, coarsely chop anchovy filets, and combine in a mixing bowl. Stuff each blossom with mixture and twist petals to retain stuffing.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Pour 1 cup flour with freshly ground black pepper into a second shallow pan. Heat 2 1⁄2” vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Working in small batches, dredge each stuffed blossom in flour; dip into eggs, turning to coat well, then dredge in seasoned flour. Fry blossoms, turning frequently, until crisp, 3–5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately.