Syrniki (Russian Sweet Cheese Pancakes)
Home cook Yelena Bachko gave us the recipe for these tangy, tender pancakes, made with tvorog (a type of quark). This recipe first appeared in our May 2013 issue with Katia Bachko’s article Love Stack.
- 2 1⁄2 lb. whole milk ricotta, drained in a sieve overnight
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, for brushing
- Mix ricotta and lemon juice in a bowl; set aside 5 minutes. In another bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until fluffy; stir in ricotta mixture and raisins. Slowly stir in 1 cup flour until a sticky dough forms; set aside. Place remaining flour on a plate.
- Using wet hands, form dough into thirty 2″ patties about 1⁄2” thick. Heat a 12″ nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in 4 batches, brush skillet with 1 tbsp. oil each time. Dredge rounds lightly in flour; fry, flipping once, until golden brown and firm, 4-6 minutes.