Tamarind-Chile Ice Pops (Paletas de Tamarindo y Chile)
Tamarind-chile is one of the hundreds of flavors of paleta that you'll find in Mexico. Other popular flavors include arroz con leche, pineapple, and strawberries and cream.
Yield: makes 8 Ice Pops
- 6 oz. tamarind concentrate
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ancho chile powder
- Bring tamarind, sugar, and 3 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar and tamarind dissolve, about 3 minutes. Transfer tamarind mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Whisk in the chile powder and pour into six 3-oz. ice-pop molds. Transfer molds to the freezer and freeze until slushy, about 1 hour.
- Insert a popsicle stick into each mold and freeze until pops are solid, about 3 hours more. To release ice pops from molds, run the bottom of the molds briefly under warm water.