Tom and Jerry
The batter for this winter warmer can be ladled from a punch bowl into glasses.
Yield: serves 12
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tsp. dark rum
- 2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cloves
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cognac, preferably VSOP
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, whisk yolks, 2 tsp. rum, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves until thick. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; chill batter.
- To serve, heat milk in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat; keep warm. Put 1 heaping tbsp. batter into a mug; stir in 1–2 tbsp. each of cognac and rum. Fill mug with 6 tbsp. milk; stir until frothy and garnish with nutmeg. Repeat.