Tripe Stew Niçoise-Style (Tripes à la Niçoise)
This is a favorite stew among the locals in Nice, France.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 lb. beef tripe, cut into 2" x ½" strips
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups white wine
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leaf and 1 sprig each flat-leaf parsley and thyme, tied in a bundle with kitchen string)
- 1 small dried red chile (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Rinse tripe very well in several changes of cold water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add vinegar. Blanch tripe for 20 seconds in boiling water; drain.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat and add tripe. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in wine, tomatoes, garlic, onions, bouquet garni, chile (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat to very low, and simmer for at least 8 hours. Adjust seasoning and serve with grated cheese and Panisses.