(Trucha a la Riojana)
La Venta De Goyo restaurant serves this traditional dish year-round, using native trout when they’re in season.
- 1 (3/4-1-lb.) fileted cleaned whole trout
- Kosher salt
- 2 oz. (1-2 slices) serrano ham
- Olive oil
- Make 2 deep slits on both sides of the trout. Lightly season fish inside and out with salt, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Tuck ham into fish cavity and tie fish shut with kitchen twine. Pour oil into a large deep skillet to a depth of 1⁄2” and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking (about 300º on a candy thermometer).
- Fry trout, turning once and tipping skillet often, allowing hot oil to seep inside cavity and head, until skin is golden and crisp and fish is cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer fish to paper towels to let drain briefly.