Winter Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Chef Suzanne Goin reinvents the Waldorf salad in this appetizer.
Yield: serves 2-4
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. mixed green lettuces
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1 raw medium beet, very thinly sliced
- Put yolk into a bowl and, whisking, drizzle in oil. Stir in buttermilk, crème fraîche, shallots, and lemon juice. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuces in a bowl with three-fourths of dressing; season with salt and pepper. Divide salad between plates. Garnish with nuts, apples, and beets; drizzle with dressing.