Donn Beach set a limit of two per customer for this potent drink, made with three kinds of rum, citrus, and spice. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140, along with Jeff Berry's story Endless Summer.
- 2 oz. Spanish-style ron añejo, such as Flor De Caña 7-year
- 1 1⁄2 oz. gold Jamaican rum, such as Appleton
- 1 oz. 151-proof Demerara rum, such as Lemon Hart
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 oz. falernum
- 3⁄4 cup crushed ice
- 2 tsp. fresh white grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon syrup, such as Trader Tiki or Sonoma Syrup Co. or homemade
- 1 tsp. grenadine
- 1⁄8 tsp. Pernod or other anise liqueur
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 sprig mint, to garnish
Combine all ingredients, except mint, in a blender and blend on high for 5 seconds; pour into a chimney glass or highball glass, add more ice to fill, and garnish with mint.