Tart Blackberry Soda Syrup
This summer berry beverage is worth the trouble.
Yield: makes About 6 Cups
- 8 cups fresh blackberries
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. tartaric acid
- Put blackberries, sugar, filtered water, and tartaric acid into a nonmetallic jar. Stir gently with a wooden spoon to combine and cover tightly. Let stand for 24 hours, stirring occasionally, to allow sugar to dissolve.
- Strain mixture through cheesecloth without pressing on berries (discard berries). Divide blackberry liquid between sterilized bottles or jars, cover tops with clean cheesecloth, and secure with kitchen twine or a rubber band. Store in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks, until acid is thick and syrupy and slightly fizzy.
- To serve, add 2 to 3 parts seltzer or water to 1 part acid and serve over ice.