Autumn Panzanella Salad
Crispy pancetta, peppery arugula, and sweet sautéed shallots give a fall spin to bread salad.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 12 oz. ciabatta, torn into 1 1/2" pieces
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 oz. pancetta, cut into 2" strips
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 400°. Toss ciabatta with 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus salt, and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 12–15 minutes; transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Heat pancetta in a 12" skillet over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 20–22 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with bread; set aside. Add shallots to pan; cook until soft, about 4 minutes; transfer to bowl with bread.
- Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, honey, salt, and pepper in another bowl. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until dressing is emulsified. Add arugula, pine nuts, cranberries, salt, and pepper to bowl with bread. Drizzle dressing over the top; toss to combine.