Burhani (Bangladeshi Spiced Yogurt Drink)
Cumin and other savory spices, toasted to bring out their aromatics, combine with mint, cilantro, and chile to flavor this smooth Bangladeshi yogurt drink. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story Milk’s Finest Hour .
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2½ cups plain full-fat yogurt, strained overnight
- ¾ cups packed mint leaves
- ¼ cups packed cilantro leaves
- ½ tbsp. black salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 fresh green Thai chile, stemmed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Heat mustard seeds, coriander, and cumin in an 8″ skillet over medium-high heat until seeds begin to pop, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder; transfer to a blender. Add yogurt, mint, cilantro, black salt, ginger, white pepper, chile, kosher salt, and 1 cup cold water; purée until smooth.