Pear and Cheese Ravioli (Cacio e Pere)
Tender, sweet Bartlett pears are mixed with sharp pecorino and creamy mascarpone to make the filling for this rich ravioli.
Yield: makes about 60 ravioli
For the Pasta Dough
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour, plus more
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. olive oil, plus more
- 4 eggs
For the Pear–Cheese Filling and Sauce
- 1 lb. pecorino cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- 3⁄4 cup mascarpone
- 6 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and grated
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the dough: Mix flour and salt in a food processor. With the motor running, add oil, eggs, and 1–2 tbsp. water, until dough forms. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; knead until dough is elastic, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rest 1 hour at room temperature.
- Make the filling: Stir pecorino, mascarpone, and pears in a bowl; chill until ready to use.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 3 balls. Working with 1 ball at a time, and keeping the remaining dough covered with a damp cloth, roll ball into an 11" x 30" rectangle. With a long side facing you, place 1 1⁄2 tbsp. mounds of filling in 2 rows of 10 on the top half of the dough, leaving a 1 1⁄2" border at the edges and spacing the mounds about 2 1⁄2" apart. Brush dough with water. Fold bottom half of dough up and over filling. Press dough to seal, squeezing out air pockets around filling. Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut out ravioli; transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook ravioli until al dente, 3–4 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer ravioli to skillet, along with 1 cup cooking water, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Transfer ravioli to a serving platter; garnish with more pecorino and pepper.