Cherry-Frangelico Mincemeat Pie
Fresh and dried fruits steep in hazelnut liqueur for three days to make the filling for this holiday pie.
Yield: serves 8
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 oz. chilled beef suet, grated on the small holes of a box grater, or 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup Frangelico
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest, plus 1 tbsp. fresh juice
- 1 tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and minced
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and minced
FOR ASSEMBLING THE PIE
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 recipe Flaky Butter Pie Dough
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. Demerara sugar
- Make the filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 3 days or up to 1 week.
- Assemble the pie: On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 12″ round. Fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges with a knife, leaving 1″ dough overhanging edge of plate; chill 30 minutes. On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll remaining disk of dough into a 12″ round; trim, discarding edges, into an 8″ square. Slice into eight 1″-thick strips; chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°. Pour filling over dough; using a rubber spatula, spread into an even layer. Lay four strips of dough vertically across the top of pie, about 1″ apart. Fold first and third strips in half upward. Lay one horizontal strip just below pie's center. Unfold first and third vertical strips over it. Fold second and fourth vertical strips upward. Lay another horizontal strip below the first. Unfold second and fourth vertical strips over the bottom horizontal strip, then fold them again downward. Lay a third horizontal strip just above the pie's center. Continue folding and unfolding vertical strips over one more remaining horizontal strip. Pinch bottom crust and lattice edges together; roll toward center of pie to hide lattice edges; crimp edges. Brush cream over crust, then sprinkle lattice with Demerara sugar. Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.