This garlicky rice, inspired by the Filipino classic breakfast, is delicious with fried eggs and a drizzle of vinegar sauce. This recipe first appeared in the tablet edition of our November 2014 issue.
Editor’s note: This recipe was formerly titled “Philippine Garlic Fried Rice.” We’ve changed the title to reflect that this recipe departs from most typical Filipino preparations.
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 14 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 4 cups cold cooked white rice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Fried eggs, for serving
- Stir vinegar, chile flakes, 1 tbsp. garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl; set aside. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high. Cook remaining garlic until just golden, 1-2 minutes. Transfer 2 tbsp. garlic to a plate; set aside. Add rice to skillet; cook, stirring and breaking up any large clumps, until rice is heated through and slightly crisp in places, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a serving platter. Top with fried eggs and serve reserved sauce on the side.