Fried Anchovy-Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
Light and airy, with a subtle squash flavor, zucchini blossoms are wonderful to cook; they make a flavorful, delicate appetizer when stuffed with salty anchovies and fried. Since the blossoms have a short shelf life, use them within a day of purchasing. Be sure to remove the stamens before working with them. This recipe first appeared in our June/July issue along with Sophie Brickman’s story “Feast for Life“.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- Canola oil, for frying
- 24 canned anchovy fillets
- 24 zucchini blossoms, stamens discarded
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle lager-style beer or seltzer, chilled
- Heat 2″ oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°. Place 1 anchovy fillet in each blossom and roll lengthwise to encase fillet. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl; whisk in beer until batter forms. Working in batches and holding stems, dip blossoms in batter; fry until golden and crisp, 1–2 minutes. Drain on paper towels; season with salt.