Ham and Caramelized Onion Pizza
In Auckland, New Zealand, Toto Pizza delivers Italian-style pies by the meter to hungry office workers. Delectable toppings include this combination of caramelized onions, sweet ham, mozzarella, and fragrant rosemary. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Desk Lunch: Global Takeout.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- Fine semolina, for dusting
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3 oz. thinly sliced honey-baked ham, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp. rosemary leaves
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup shaved parmesan
- Heat half the oil in a 12” skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, salt, and pepper, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 45 minutes; let cool.
- Place a pizza stone under the broiler; heat for 30 minutes. Dust dough with semolina. Using fingertips, press the dough into an 8″ x 2 1⁄2‘ rectangle about 1⁄4” thick; transfer to a semolina-dusted pizza peel. Drizzle 2 tbsp. oil over dough; sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with ham and rosemary; drizzle with cream. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and the parmesan over top; drizzle with remaining oil. Slide pizza onto stone; broil until cheese melts and crust is puffed and charred in spots, 3–4 minutes. Serve hot.